Thursday, April 14, 2011

Uncomfortable Video Crit Writeup

Well, I didn't get much for this, except for exactly what I wanted! When we set up my video on the projector, with the sound turned way high up, and I started pounding my fistful of thumbtacks into the desk with my "blood" flying everywhere, there were a few gasps, a good amount of "OOH!"s, and one really satisfying yelp. I was so excited by the audience reaction that I was too pleased with myself to mind the errors that were pointed out in my video.

- First of all, it was REALLY obvious when I was turning the camera off and on again.
- It was also recommended to me that I should get some fake blood capsules. In my defense, they were at none of the stores I checked, which I found really shocking. I guess that's more of a Halloween thing, though.
- Additionally, it was said that the background (my wooden bookshelf) was distracting, and that a plain white background would've been superior. While I don't find the bookshelf to detract too much from the video as a whole, I guess I can agree that a plain white background would've been nicer.
- The most important crit I received that really stuck with me was that it was really obvious that I was turning the camera off and on to get rid of the thumbtacks before punching the table. The suggestion that was given to me was to find an alternative solution to the sleight of hand idea, or get a bunch of people to assist me with it, one with the tacks, one with the ketchup packets, one holding the camera down, etc.

However, I'm still overall very pleased with how my video was received. As a matter of fact, I got my first and probably only "People's Choice Award" for it, in the category of "EEEEK!!!!", which excited me so much, you don't even know. I mean seriously I act all reserved and stuff in class but I was really excited on the inside, I promise! Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment