Sunday, April 17, 2011

100 Things That Make Me Uncomfortable

Never did post this, here we go.

1. Talking in front of people.
2. Talking in front of a lot of people.
3. Talking in front of a lot of people that I've never met before or don't know well.
4. Trying to think of a performance piece that I can feel comfortable doing in front of a lot of people.
5. People pretending that they know what I am thinking. ("And Ryan's just like 'what happened?!'" for example, this pisses me off more than making me uncomfortable, though).
6. Talking to people I don't know at all.
7. Meeting a friend's significant other.
8. Meeting a friend's friend.
9. Being introduced to a friends friend, and then having said person say "okay, I met him, where's my five bucks".
10. The words "group project".
11. Walking 20 minutes to and from a 7 hour long studio class every Monday and Wednesday.
12. Not knowing where I'm going to be living next semester.
13. The fact that every time I talk to Sean about life, it gets depressing and fast.
14. The sound of markers being dragged across paper.
15. When Martin starts spinning his exacto knife around in his hand with the blade extended.
16. Telling someone "man, I'm so tired, I went to bed at like three" only to be told "I haven't slept in three days".
17. DOTS.
18. Talking to people about religion and having to dodge around everything I say so as not to offend them.
19. Really needing to tell someone something, but if I did, it'd ruin everything.
20. Loud and obnoxious people partying in my dorm's hallway at one in the morning (not that I'm trying to sleep at that time anyway, it's just that people who are so annoying exist).
21. There's actually this group of people that hangs out right outside of my door all of the time, yelling and hollering about whatever. Really annoying, why would they pick that spot.
22. Having painful things described to me ("Dude imagine if like you had a toothpick wedged under your big toenail and then you kicked a wall as hard as you could")
23. "Hey Ryan, what kind of music do you like? Lemme see your iPod! Oh, man, how can you listen to this? This sucks!"
24. Showing people my drawings.
25. Telling people about my ideas for comics.
26. Finally deciding to tell someone about my idea for a comic and then being met with total disinterest.
27. Hearing "okay class, split up into groups of two", and then seeing that the only two people I know in that class have already paired up.
28. People that feign being nice to get other people to do stuff for them.
29. People telling me they'll pray for me.
30. Being cheered on in a chant.
31. Feeling lame being unable to make conversation at all during long car rides with my oldest brother.
32. Suddenly remembering how weird my voice sounds and not wanting to talk any more.
33. Hearing a recording of my voice, for above reason.
34. Being singled out by a professor in the middle of a class, even if it's for something good.
35. Being complimented.
36. Waiting too long to shave to the point where my beard is too grown out to shave it off with my electric razor, so it just gets grown out until I look like a hobo.
37. Not being able to talk to people about my ideas for comics, so I still have no idea if they're interesting or not.
38. Realizing that there is no plan B, it's plan A or bust.
39. Realizing that I don't spend any free time drawing when that is what I should spend the majority of it doing.
40. Realizing that I've been at this for an hour and I'm still not even halfway done.
41. The very thought of having to repeat WASH terrifies me to my very core and I don't think I'm strong enough to do it in the event that I would have to.
42. When it's 3 a.m. and it feels that every single time I press a key on my keyboard it sounds like an explosion.
43. Having trust issues.
44. Realizing something is wrong and not doing anything about it out of sheer laziness.
45. Spending 40 hours on something and then getting a C.
46. In contrast to the above, spending 10 minutes on something and getting an A.
47. Showing somebody my portfolio and them saying that their favorite part is the crappy little page of doodles I didn't put any work into.
48. When it's time for me to critique someone's drawing, and I can't tell them anything constructive because I don't feel like I'm good enough to be able to tell people what they did wrong.
49. Having a crappy day, but not wanting to have to talk about it, so when I'm asked how my day was, I just force a smile and say "fine!".
50. Not wanting to talk to the person that is trying desperately to start a conversation with me.
51. Having to put up with your best friend's asshole friends that are horribly rude for no reason.
52. When you think somebody is going up for a high five, so you high five them, not even realizing that they were just waving.
53. Thinking somebody is waving at me, so I wave back, not knowing that they were actually waving at someone behind me.
54. When a random person on the street asks me how it's going.
55. Being addressed as "buddy". It just irks me. Not sure why.
56. A certain adviser who seemed almost as if he was trying to scare me out of taking art classes.
57. The occasional moment of weakness when I ask myself if making comics is really my dream, or if it's the dream someone else forced on me.
58. The moment of fear that comes right after the aforementioned moment when I wonder what I could possibly do if not art.
59. Realizing I'm pouring my guts out to a list of 100 things that make me uncomfortable for no good reason.
60. Being forced to realize how naive I am.
61. Knowing a little bit too much about bugs, parasites, etc. to the point where I get a little paranoid about certain things.
62. Finding out someone's been talking shit behind my back, but they still act friendly around me.
63. Receiving things I don't particularly want from a friend, and then them expecting me to pay them back for the stuff I didn't want in the first place.
64. When I take a seat in a nearly empty theater, and even though there are hundreds of other seats free, for one reason or another a complete stranger decides to sit right next to me.
65. Being late to a class and having to walk past all of the staring eyes as the professor suddenly cuts off what he was saying so that everybody can watch me walk to my seat.
66. The unfortunate fact that I will, some day, have to take math classes, and there is no way in hell that I can pull that off.
67. The fact that something as terrible as botflies can exist. If you don't know what they are, don't look them up, it's for your own sanity, I swear.
68. Expressing an unpopular opinion.
69. When people try to talk to me about politics, and try to start a fight even though I don't care about politics and don't side with either side because I don't know anything about either of them.
70. There is a bevy of incredibly beautiful horror comics from Japan that have not been translated, and they will never be translated because people would rather translate schoolgirls doing cute things.
71. Staying up too late to the point where I start hearing things.
72. Combining sauces, like putting mustard on a meatball sandwich.
73. Sauces on things that don't match, like jelly on a hot dog.
74. Peanut butter on meat.
75. Small, cramped spaces.
76. Having to restrain the way I'd usually act because if I even so much as speak it becomes a huge deal where everybody reacts to what I just said or did for fifteen minutes because they don't see me as acting out or talking in any way at all whatsoever.
77. There are certain people I'd like to forget and remembering them makes me uncomfortable and a little angry.
78. The sneaking suspicion that my suitemates occasionally use my towel.
79. Hearing horrible vomiting noises coming from the bathroom I share with said suitemates.
80. Walking back from the WASH building at 3 AM after working on a project for hours.
81. Having somebody suddenly pour out all of their drug-related memories to me.
82. People that ask me where they can "score some grass".
83. Having to walk everywhere to get all kinds of weird stuff for WASH and then ending up not even using 90% of it.
84. Walking around in drawing class and seeing how much better everyone else is doing than me.
85. Talking to my friend on skype and seeing how much better he is doing than me.
86. Spending hours on a character design only to have it not turn out very well.
87. Realizing that all of the characters I've ever designed doesn't come close to the number of characters my best friend has designed for a single one of his comics.
88. Realizing that half of this list has been me complaining about my inferiority complex.
89. Knowing that I should be more social, and wishing I was more social, but still refusing to be social at all.
90. omitted
91. Surviving the entirety of last semester thinking that I'd do much better in this one, only to have the complete opposite happen.
92. Geology. Everything about it. Straight up.
93. That time when my old history teacher took the claw off of his missing arm and held it up uncomfortably close to me.
94. Thinking wayyyy back to the first grade, and how all I can remember about it is two girls fighting over which of them was going to marry me (I didn't like either of them at all).
95. Watching the butterfly effect and not being able to sleep because I am too busy wondering how everything would've turned out if I could go back and change one tiny thing about my life.
96. Staying up until 1:30 writing this up.
97. omitted
98. Being cornered by someone and forced to talk about something I don't want to.
99. Being asked to control something that I have no control over whatsoever.
100. Finding an extremely talented artist on the internet that wastes all of their incredible technical ability on drawing smut that people commission them to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment