Thursday, April 14, 2011

Markmaking Crit

Well, the piece wasn't as well-received as I'd hoped it'd be. I really feel lame about it now.

- "I wish there was a light inside of it or in front of it so you could maybe get some shadows or at least see the cuts better". I don't really agree with this, because it didn't make any shadows when I tried it, and you can see the cuts just fine.

And then I told them about my story's contents, and that completely changed their perception of the thing as a whole. Entirely because my story involved a roach (which was eaten alive from the inside by wasp larvae, which was the focus, not the roach itself, thankyouverymuch), I got

"I think you should've used a little plastic roach to create a sort of skittering roach track instead of cuts".

... Uh... I really don't get this one at all, I think it's a little silly to say that. Instead of communicating the mood of the story, which was painful, you would rather me communicate... The fact that there was a bug involved? In a non-representational piece. About emotions. Not directly about the story, but the emotion that the story conveyed. I honestly feel a little upset at even writing this down and reading it again. I just can't wrap my head around it and that upsets me. I don't even remember anything else that was said. Oh, there was "you should've used a nicer box", which I guess I can agree with. There was also "you should've painted the cabinet knobs", which I mentioned in the previous post, but it's still a valid criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment