Sunday, February 13, 2011

First Day of WASH

This is a little bit late, isn't it?

The day before class started, I had spent a lot of time wandering around looking for the Wash building. I don't have a car, and there were no directions beyond "it's somewhere over in this area maybe????", so it took me a really long time to find, as well as securing a good route to walk in order to reach it without getting smeared into the pavement.

So because it took so long for me to find the actual building, I ended up leaving wayyyy earlier than I needed to and arrived at the building almost an hour early. I didn't really want to go in early, so I hung around nearby for a while, but eventually got tired of waiting and nervously entered the building.

A few other students had already arrived, and they were just sitting wherever, so I decided I'd follow suit and just grab a chair. After a minute or two, I got a nameplate and was asked to help distribute huge stacks of newspaper across the tables. By the time we'd finished distributing the newspaper, a lot more students had arrived, and class had begun.

So Kathryn gathers us all up next to a whiteboard, and she starts going on about all of this crazy stuff. "Are you a daydream, or a nightmare? Are you male or female? What's your job?" and other things of that nature. She then pretty much said "okay now make that out of newspaper", which I met with a blank stare. What was she even talking about? I eventually decided to just make a snail shell.

You'll believe me if I tell you that this is a snail shell, right?

It kind of made sense when I thought about it. Being a snail, with no responsibilities, that doesn't even have to worry about finding a home to live... Sounds like an okay daydream to me! Of course, the shell wasn't quite enough, so I made a little headband with stalk eyes on it, too. I guess my costume worked out, because when I went to present myself dressed in this manner, at least one person called out "oh, he's a snail!".

Well, at least the folks in the background are having fun! 
The longer I look at this picture the funnier it gets.

After we all presented our newspaper costumes in the blue line theater (which consisted of everyone sitting in a circle around some blue tape), we were given a slightly more proper introduction to the class, including a list of materials and a lot of common sense stuff like "don't light each other on fire".

Oh, also my group was assigned to illustrate "texture" during class, but using sound instead of images. I would explain more, but there's not really a need to; our video got posted on the WASH blog. Fun times.


The first day was... Interesting. Really not what I was expecting at all. Although, I guess not expecting something wacky like this was silly considering this is the same class that had me dumpster diving for cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment