Tuesday, February 22, 2011

552 Toothpicks

Information as per the handout posted on the main blog:

MATERIALS

1. I feel that the overall form of the final piece does, in fact, resonate with the toothpicks from which it was constructed. Toothpicks don't want to form a solid object: they want to be something more architectural.

2. The piece could be made from another object just as well. For example, it could easily be made with pencils, and then it would be even bigger and more impressive (though it might be harder to fix them together).

3. The difficulty in the material usage came from the sheer tediousness of the work. Toothpicks are tiny. I used hot glue, and each toothpick was glued at both ends of itself. That's 552 toothpicks being glued twice each for a total of 1104 globs of glue.

4. I didn't discover anything in particular about the toothpicks that was "shocking", aside from how much time they can consume if you use them as material for a project (hint: the amount of time is A LOT).

PROCESS/AMBITIOUSNESS

1. I feel that while the piece did not rise above the ordinary in scale, it did rise above the ordinary in effort. As I keep repeating, the process was long and grueling. I spent several sessions of staying after class in the wash building (twice for about two hours each, and then one time for three and a half), and that was constant working. I also two 5 hour sessions working on it in my dorm room, and none of this even includes time spent working on it in class.

2. The piece changed a little from the original concept. The legs were initially going to be jointed, and a lot more spidery. Also, the bottom part was supposed to extend downwards and form a dome before the legs came out from that. However, after I realized how long just creating the base was taking, I deemed that creating that would be impossible with the amount of time I had.

3. The initial idea was more ambitious than the final piece, but I think my decisions were reasonable and justified. I spent enough time on the project without driving myself insane trying to overcomplicate it.

CRAFTSMANSHIP

I feel that the way the piece is put together helps the viewer understand the amount of effort that was put into it. Since the piece focuses more on the architecture of the object rather than what the object itself actually is, I feel that my vision for it doesn't obscure its meaning. (Fun fact: you can lift it by almost any single toothpick without it falling apart (THAT DOES NOT MEAN I AM GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO TRY IT (SERIOUSLY))).

FORM

1. The dominant formal elements in this piece are line (the toothpicks) and space (all of the gaps between the toothpicks). I feel that space is important to the piece, because it wouldn't be as interesting if all of the negative space was filled in with toothpicks. As far as line, it's really not so much important as it is inherently guaranteed to be involved in a piece that is made out of hundreds of toothpicks.

2. The dominating principles of the piece are scale, repetition, rhythm, unity, and space. Scale is because I was partially inspired by the Bacteriophage, which is infinitesimal compared to my sculpture. Repetition and rhythm are obvious: the squares and triangles are repeated over and over throughout the piece. Unity is because of the way all of these tiny toothpicks combine into something much bigger (as well as aforementioned fun fact), and space has also already been covered.

CONCEPT

1. The piece doesn't really relate to the history, function, or purpose of toothpicks. After all, toothpicks aren't generally used for making crafts. Well, I mean, they are, but most people don't use them for that.

3. The presentation of the piece doesn't really alter the viewer's understanding of the toothpicks, I don't think. Unless that alteration is going from "toothpicks are for sandwiches" to "oh or you can do that".

PRESENTATION

1. Why did I put it where I did? Well, I personally don't feel it matters too much. As long as it's not sitting on the ground, I think anywhere would be okay. I also like that the viewer can walk around and see it from different angles (even if it's the same on each side).

I can't really answer these because I haven't seen what everything that's been put up around my piece looks like. Shrug.

Anyway, now that you've ignored all of that and scrolled to the fun part (I know I would!), here are the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment