Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cardboard Spheres

Our first project for the 3D component of WASH was to construct three spheres... Out of cardboard. One was to be done with the "skin" being the main focus, one was to be done with attention to the internal architecture, and one was to be done without using glue, tape, or any other adhesive. This felt like kind of a rough introduction to cardboard: after all, when you think cardboard, you think of boxes, and it's hard to imagine being able to turn a box into a sphere without aforementioned box being a huge pain in the butt.

The first sphere I made was "skin". I thought about how with a 3D modeling program, you can create a perfectly round sphere, and as you decrease the amount of polygons it's composed of, it becomes less and less of a sphere until it's made of a smaller amount of large geometric shapes instead of millions and millions of tiny ones.

After that, I did "internal architecture". I wish I would've done more with it, but holding it together with slots was helpful practice for the next one.
The following sphere is:
-Held together by a rod stuck through the middle using no glue tape or adhesives!
-Barely Not even a sphere!
I'm sure I could have gotten it to be more spherelike had I had about five more hours and a lot more patience, but cutting out disc after disc in cardboard is a tiring affair.


Next time:

No comments:

Post a Comment